Sunday, May 14, 2017

Business cards

I've lived my life collecting business cards.  I hold them and put them with all the others I collect over our lives and one day...I went through them.

I want to clean my home and one of the things I've so far done is make a phone call to send a 27" CRT tv on its way onward.  That said I put two pieces of left over butcher block onto a old fashioned typewriter table to wheel it over to move the TV onto it so the 70 pound behemoth could be eventually taken away.  Making sure the pick up people will arrive when I am home and can greet them as the TV was so very heavy I could not safely onto the surface of the front stoop, It will be at least ten  days in the future.

Next I looked at the small box of those business cards I had collected over many years.  I picked out the expired drivers licenses and two photos of my kids, back when my son wore handdown western shirts and a straw cowboy hat, and when my daughter wore a huge smile for the camera.

All those cards had stories that belonged exclusively attached to them.  There was the card our neighbor who befriended my son had given me so I knew his name.  My son immediately called out the man's whole name confirming he recalled Lincoln and his friendship.  The surprising thing is that my son had a closed head injury after meeting this man and working along side him to lay turf.  Another card was from a now closed Italian restaurant we had visited in San Francisco after meeting one of the employees who was volunteering while my son was hospitalized.

There was the card from the Special Ed coordinator from a previous area where we lived, the card from the screen repair person, the card form a costume maker, from a childrens' entertainer, a structural engineer who gave an evaluation of the foundation of the condo we live in.  Various doctor's cards with appointment dates, minus the year, hand written on them were also there, several dentists including two from UCSF School of Prosthodontics, purchased cards from a local library with unpunched spots for buying prints from computer use.

There were even cards from real estate agents and bank employees who tried to help in my financial life.

Overall these cards are insights into my life history after my divorce, but before I left San Diego, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment